|Posted by CapitolAreaInterfaithFriends1 on December 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM|
Please join CUAH, MCEA, MCCPTA and the MC Regional SGA on Sunday, December 10th at 4 pm, at MCEA, 12 Taft Court, Rockville, for a kickoff meeting to organize the CUAH Youth Engagement and Leadership Project (YELP).
Through YELP, we are recognizing that schools are critical points of entry for combatting bigotry and discrimination, promoting inclusiveness and equal opportunity, and building cultures of dignity. Student-led peer advocacy, support and education programs are important ways through which we can address the dramatic increase in bias incidents and harassment in our local schools. YELP will identify and provide concrete financial, mentoring, and community support for students who have developed or are developing projects designed to address these challenges.
Our initial objectives for YELP are:
· Identify students who are are developing or expanding projects designed to address discrimination and hate, promote inclusiveness and equal opportunities, and build cultures of dignity in their schools and communities;
· Provide grants of $500 - $1,000 to kickstart and support these student-led projects;
· Assign adult mentors to assist students in developing or expanding these projects;
· Assign experienced student organizers to serve as mentors to students organizing these projects;
· Organize an annual social change conference that:
o Provides student leaders with opportunities to showcase their projects and recruit volunteer or other community support;
o Recognizes students leading particularly effective projects with awards and opportunities to present their projects and results to a large audience;
· Build community awareness of youth-led efforts through social media and other communication and media platforms; and
· Create pathways for youth to engage with elected officials, local leaders and other policy makers.
We welcome your input/feedback on the concept for YELP and its objectives, and your involvement as charter founders of this project. Please let us know whether you or a representative from your organization will be able to join us on December 10th. Thank you!